The Department of Science, Technology and Environment (DSTE) started functioning from 01/01/1993 after merging of the erstwhile Science and Technology Cell which functioned in the Planning and Research Department and Environment Cell which functioned in the Town and Country Planning Department of the U.T. Administration. The DSTE is the nodal agency for planning, promotion, co-ordination and overseeing the implementation of policies and programmes related to promotion of science and technology and protection and conservation of environment.
DSTE Consist of following two divisions:
- Science and Technology.
Autonomous Bodies Functioning under DSTE:
- Puducherry Pollution Control Committee (PPCC).
- Puducherry Council for Science & Technology (PCS&T).
- Puducherry Coastal Zone Management Authority (PCZMA).
- State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA).
Project Cells functioning under DSTE:
- Puducherry Envis Hub.
- Dr. Abdul Kalam Science Centre and Planetarium.
- Puducherry Climate Change Cell.
- Puducherry Integrated Coastal Zone Management Society.