DSTE was started functioning from 01/01/1993 after merging of the erstwhile S&T and Environment cells functioning in the U.T .Administration
- To create scientific awareness among the general public and students.
- To extend support in carrying out research projects / studies.
- To conserve and protect the environment of this Territory.
- Popularization of Science and Scientific technologies.
- Promotion of technology transfer from lab to land.
- Facilitation of scientific research by way of grants for better applied research.
- Bringing awareness among the public regarding environmental issues by celebrating days of environmental importance.
- To advise the State Government on any matter concerning with the prevention and control of pollution.
The DSTE consists of the following three Divisions:
- Puducherry Pollution Control Committee (PPCC) : PPCC is the Environmental protection agency for the U.T. of Puducherry.
- Puducherry Council for Science & Technology (PCS&T) : PCS&T is an autonomous body for application and promotion of S&T in the U.T. of Puducherry.
- Puducherry Coastal Zone Management Authority (PCZMA) : PCZMA is a statutory authority to protect the environment in coastal areas of the U.T. of Puducherry.
- State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA) : SEIAA is a statutory authority for implementation of EIA Notification, 2006 in the UT of Puducherry.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated date: 09-10-2020