DSTE was started functioning from 01-01-1993 after merging of the erstwhile Science, Technology and Environment cells functioning in the U.T .Administration
- To create scientific awareness among the general public and students.
- To extend support in carrying out research projects / studies.
- To conserve and protect the environment of this Territory.
- Popularization of Science and Scientific technologies.
- Promotion of technology transfer from lab to land.
- Facilitation of scientific research by way of grants for better applied research.
- Bringing awareness among the public regarding environmental issues by celebrating days of environmental importance.
- To advise the State Government on any matter concerning with the prevention and control of pollution.
The DSTE consists of the following three Divisions:
Puducherry Pollution Control Committee (PPCC)
PPCC is the Environmental protection agency for the U.T. of Puducherry.
Puducherry Council for Science & Technology (PCS&T)
PCS&T is an autonomous body for application and promotion of S&T in the U.T. of Puducherry.
Puducherry Coastal Zone Management Authority (PCZMA)
PCZMA is a statutory authority to protect the environment in coastal areas of the U..of Puducherry.
State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA)
SEIAA is a statutory authority for implementation of EIA Notification, 2006 in the UT of Puducherry.
|Financial Year||Revised Estimate||Expenditure incurred|
|2011 - 2012||100.00||75.00||175.00||99.78||73.93||173.71|
|2012 - 2013||95.00||89.47||184.47||55.78||87.21||142.99|
|2016 - 2017||125.00 (62.50)||125.00 (62.50)||250.00 (125.00)||-||-||-|
Staffs in DSTE
|Name of the Post||Existing Strength||Vacant|
|Senior Scientific Officer||1||-|
|Junior Scientific Assistant||2||-|
|Junior Laboratory Assistant||3||2|
Important S&T activities undertaken / being undertaken under the sector Scientific Research
1. Release of Grant-in-aid to the PCS&T
- Seed Capital
- GIA for strengthening
2. Release of GIA to Research projects
- Thrust areas
b. Popularization of Science
c. Basic / Applied Scientific Research
d. Technology Transfer
e. Innovative Software Development
f. Water Resources Management
g. Information Technology
- Location specific aspect
3. Release of partial financial assistance for conduct of colloquia / seminars / conferences / workshops on S&T topics
4. Best Science Student Awards
5. Science Tours
- Issue of Consents / Authorizations / Environment and CRZ Clearances, monitoring and evaluation, issue of directions, taking cognizance of offence under Air, Water and Environment (Protection) Acts and are done.
- Planning comprehensive programme for the prevention of pollution.
- Advising the state government on all matters concerning the prevention of pollution and environment protection and conservation.
- Formulation of UT specific regulations like Plastic Ban Notification.
- Conducting studies related to prevention of pollution and environment protection and conservation.
- Studies on coastal erosion management and formulation of coastal restoration measures through NIOT Monitoring of Environmental Quality under the two projects viz.
- National Air Quality Monitoring Programme (NAMP) and National Water Monitoring Programme (NWMP).
- Creation of Environmental Awareness by celebration of World Environment Day, National Environment Month, World Ozone Day, Coastal Cleanup Day and World Conservation Day and others.
- Green Award for Industries and Environment Award for Individuals / organisations.
- Dissemination on Environmental Information through ENVIS website. Publication of Reports, News Letters and Pamphlets.
- Promoting sustainable industrial and building projects by installation of biogas plants, solar water heater, renewable energy measures, composting, rain water harvesting, zero waste and waste water disposal systems, utilization of treated waste water for non-potable use.
- Continuous Emission / Effluent monitoring for 17 Category of Highly Polluting Industries
- Puducherry State Action Plan on Climate Change (SAPCC) was prepared by the DSTE and endorsed by MoEF&CC in July 2014.