- Advising the state government on all matters concerning the prevention of pollution and environment protection and conservation.
- Planning comprehensive programme for the prevention of pollution.
- Formulation of regulations like Plastic Ban Notification, Use of Clean Fuels, etc.
- Conducting studies related to prevention of pollution and environment protection.
- Preparation of Action Plan for protection and conservation of waterbodies and rivers.
- Preparation of Environment Management Plan for the Union Territory and other matters of environment concern.
- Preparation of State of Environment Report.
- Issue of Consents / Authorizations / Environment and CRZ Clearances, monitoring and evaluation, issue of directions, taking action against violators of Air, Water and Environment (Protection) Acts and Rules thereunder.
- Periodical Monitoring of ambient air quality, stack monitoring, noise levels and waste water discharge in industries.
- Collection of long-term air quality data for Puducherry and Karaikal Region under NAMP program.
- Collection of long-term surface and ground water quality data for U.T. of Puducherry under NWMP program.
- Monitoring of air / water quality on festival occasion such as Deepavali, Bhogi and Vinayagar Chathurthi (Ganesh festival)
- Motivating citizens to keep their surroundings green and clean
- Raising public awareness on solid waste source segregation, composting of organic waste and proper waste disposal practices.
- Tree Plantation campaigns and distribution of saplings.
- Sensitizing the public about minimizing usage of plastics
- Distribution of cloth bags to promote alternates to single use plastics.
- Creating awareness during celebration of festivals like Vinayagar Chathurthi, Diwali, Bhogi, etc. in environmentally friendly manner.
- Celebration of important days of environment significance viz. World Environment Day, Environment Month, International Ozone Day, International Coastal Cleanup Day, etc.
- Climate Change Awareness Programs for school students.
- Dissemination of Environmental Information under ENVIS program.
- Stipulation of conditions for Better Environment Management like installation of alternate energy sources, energy and water conservation, rain water harvesting, resource recovery and reuse, green waste management within campus, etc in the Consent / Clearance issued to industries / commercial establishment and monitoring and enforcement by inspections.
- Publishing the best environmental practices by industries.
- Preparation of U.T. of Puducherry Action Plan on Climate Change and monitoring and evaluation of its implementation.
- Facilitating government departments in availing climate finance for various adaptation and mitigation projects.
- Establishment of Puducherry Climate Change cell to lead the climate change initiatives in the U.T. and function as knowledge repository on Climate Change information.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated date: 02-02-2023