PUDUCHERRY POLLUTION CONTROL COMMITTEE
- Pollution Control Acts were being implemented by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) till Mar’1992
- CPCB delegated its powers and functions to PPCC from April 1992 vide S.O .787 (E) dated 10-03-1992 of Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India (under Sec.4 of Water (P & CP) Act 1974 and Sec.6 of Air (P&CP)Act 1981)
- Since then PPCC is implementing the Pollution Control Acts with the technical staff of DSTE. In Feb, 2006, 6 technical staff was recruited for PPCC.
- So far 131 meetings of PPCC were convened for considering the clearances / consents for industry and other related issue.
|COMPOSITION OF PPCC|
|Secretary(Sci, Tech & Environment)||-Chairman|
|Director, Department of Industries||- Member|
|Director, Department of Agriculture||- Member|
|Director, Dte. of Health & Family Welfare Services||- Member|
|Commissioner, Puducherry Municipality||- Member|
|Senior Town Planner, Town & Country Planning Department||- Member|
|Commissioner, Karaikal Municipality||- Member|
|Principal, Puducherry Engineering College||- Member|
|Director, (DSTE)||- Member Secretary|
The following Acts and Rules are being implemented.
- The Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974
- The Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981
- The Environment (Protection) Act, 1986
RULES AND NOTIFICATIONS UNDER ENVIRONMENT ( PROTECTION) ACT,1986
- Hazardous Wastes (Management Handling & Transboundary Movement) Rules,2016.
- Municipal Solid Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2016
- Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules,1998 as amended in 2016
- Plastic Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2016.
- Noise Pollution ( Control and Regulations) Rules, 2000
- Batteries (Management and Handling) Rules,2001
- Ozone Depleting Substances Rules,2000
- Coastal Zone Regulation Notification , 2011
- Electronic Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2016.
- FUNCTIONS OF PPCC
- To plan a comprehensive programme for the prevention of pollution of stream or well / Ambient air in the state and secure the execution thereof,
- To advise the state government on any matter concerning the prevention of pollution, location of Industry.
- To encourage, conduct and participate in investigation and research relating to problem of pollution and prevention,
- To collaborate with Central Board in organizing training for the person engaged in programme relating to prevention and control of pollution,
- To inspect Air pollution control measures, sewage, trade effluent treatment plants,etc,
- lay down standards,
- establish laboratory,
CONSENT UNDER WATER AND AIR ACTS
- To establish the industry(NOC)
- To operate the industry
- To handle Hazardous Wastes
- To handle Biomedical Wastes
- To handle Municipal Solid wastes
- To manufacture plastic carry bags / containers
PROCEDURES FOR CONSENT TO ESTABLISH AND OPERATE THE UNIT
No Objection Certificate (NOC) / (Consent to establish )
- based on Site suitability & Pollution abatement measures
- Power to issue of NOC
Red – Committee,
Green – Member Secretary
Consent to Operate
- Compliance of NOC conditions
- Based on inspection / monitoring
PUDUCHERR Y COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY (PCZMA)
- To protect and improve the quality of the coastal environment and preventing and abating coastal environmental pollution in the coastal areas of U.T.
- To review the Coastal Zone management Plan of Puducherry, discuss environmental issues related to CRZ region and examine project proposals within 500 mts from HTL.
- Issue of directions under CRZ violations for cases of alleged violations.
- Identify coastal areas highly vulnerable to erosion or degradation and formulate area-specific management plans.
- Celebration of International Coastal Clean up day.
STATE ENVIRONMENT IMPACT ASSESSMENT AUTHORITY (SEIAA)
- SEIAA started functioning since 14th September 2006.
- To grant Environment Clearance to mitigate pollution and protect environment which is essential pre-requisite in the process of environment projects that falls under Category ‘B’ of the EIA Notification, 2006.
- State Environment Impact Assessment Authority shall take decisions on the recommendations of the State Level Expert Appraisal Committee, Puducherry. State Level Expert Appraisal Committee shall follow procedures as enumerated in the EIA Notification, 2006 in recommend